They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. There is even the saying “eat breakfast like kings, lunch like princes and eat like paupers”, which is quite assertive.
Although the first meal of the day is essential since it gives the body the energy it needs to carry out its daily activities. Therefore, having a healthy breakfast every morning helps maintain nutritional balance throughout the day, in addition to preventing the risk of obesity and overweight problems, according to the newspaper The Herald.
“Skipping breakfast reduces performance and concentration, and it also leads us to eat unhealthy foods during the rest of the day”, indicates a team of doctors and nutritionists from the NC Salud Group, a company specializing in dietary advice in pharmacies.
“Skipping breakfast is associated with higher calorie intake, because we arrive at the next meal with more hunger, which will cause us to make a less healthy choice of food and eat more compulsively, ”explain the experts. For this reason, nutritionists insist on the importance of seeing this food as the perfect and satiating ally for eating routines.
The Spanish Heart Foundation points out that a healthy breakfast should contain enough energy and variety. For this reason, it should provide around 20% of the total energy needed daily through three food groups: dairy products, fruits and cereals and derivatives. Although, it must be a good dish, which contributes to providing enough energy for the first hours of the day, without abusing salt, sugars or trans fats.
Concepts of a healthy breakfast
Fruits and vegetables
- Some examples are fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, straight juices with no added sugar, and fruit and vegetable smoothies.
- Some examples are whole-grain waffles, whole-grain buns or bagels, hot or cold whole-grain cereals, and whole-grain English muffins.
- Some examples are nuts. eggs, lean meat and legumes.
- Some examples are milk, plain or low-sugar yogurt, and low-fat cheeses, such as cottage cheese and natural cheeses.
The Mayo Clinic notes that these food groups they provide complex carbohydrates, fiber, protein and a small amount of fat; combination with health benefits and that will help you feel satisfied for hours.
Quick and flexible options for breakfast
A healthy breakfast doesn’t always have to be a traditional breakfast menu. These are some Some healthy options for breakfast recommended by the portal Mayo Clinic:
Three recipes for breakfast:
- Sandwich of integral bread with avocado and turkey breast cooked with yogurt.
- Oatmeal porridge (cooked oatmeal) with fruit, nuts plus a separate hard-boiled egg.
- Oatmeal and banana pancakes with nuts.
Recommendation: you should consult with the nutritionist doctor before starting any change in the diet since each organism is totally different.