If you have walked along the coast of Jalisco, surely you have tried or at least seen the shrimp and pregnant.
This coastal snack reaches your lounger through gentlemen who, at the moment, add their bottle sauce and lemon. All you have to do is take a good bite and if you’re too lazy to get out of your sarong for a fit meal, three of these wands are a good fit.
But are shrimp really pregnant? Obviously not, or maybe we don’t know. This cute name comes from the play on words “en vara” and “asado”, which generates something similar to roasted shrimp en vara… but thanks to Mexican ingenuity, it was changed to pregnant.
Pregnant Shrimp Recipe
The good news is that you don’t have to go to Puerto Vallarta, Melaque or Barra de Navidad to savor this delicious, quick and simple recipe, here we tell you how to prepare them.
Video: Shrimp Gyozas | Delicious recipe | Direct to the Palate Mexico (Dailymotion)
- 32 large shrimp
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 pasilla chilies deveined
- ½ white onion
- 3 sour oranges
- 1 lemon
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8 skewer sticks
- Prepare the marinade to marinate the shrimp by blending the pasilla peppers, the tomatoes, the garlic, the onion, the orange juice, the lemon juice and salt to taste, until obtaining a smooth sauce.
- Submerge the shrimp in the sauce, perfectly clean. The ones that they sell to you on the beach have a shell, but you can choose to take it off.
- Cover the container and let them marinate in the sauce for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator. Ideally, leave them for 5 hours so that the sauce penetrates better.
- After the resting time, remove the shrimp from the refrigerator and cook on a hot griddle or frying pan with a little oil. If you have a grill and you can cook them over charcoal, you will get a flavor more similar to beach buns. In this case, you must thread them on the rods beforehand.
- If you don’t have a charcoal grill, use your skillet or griddle. Cook on both sides at medium temperature.
- Take the wooden sticks and insert the shrimp. If you want the beach version, place only shrimp, one after another. If you are looking for a more sophisticated version, intersperse the shrimp with pieces of grilled onion, tomato and green chili.
And ready, eat them warm, fresh from the fire. You can accompany the pregnant shrimp recipe with the hot sauce of your choice, mayonnaise and a few drops of lemon.
And if you want to know the 7 tips to cook perfect shrimp, stop by here.