Every March 17the irish celebrate Saint Patrick’s daya religious date in which the saint who brought the Christian belief to his town is commemorated. On this day, the Irish community and lovers of its culture usually celebrate with the color green, traditional to their region, but also with typical drinks and recipes, which have become increasingly popular.
In another article we talk about three typical dishes that are eaten to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day, where we highlight the Irish stew, one of the main stews of this day that was incorporated by the culture of the Celts in Ireland, and that is still keep enjoying. But she’s not the only one traditional recipe of this dateso now we share the recipe to make Boxty.
The Boxty is a kind of potato cakea typical dish of Irish cuisine, although it is much more particular to regions such as Connacht and Ulster, and is also used to celebrate other important dates such as Halloween. This preparation is easy and will remind you a lot of the Potato pancakesbecause in fact it is almost the same recipe, with some extra details that give it the irish touch.
- 250 grams of raw grated potato
- 250 grams of mashed potatoes
- 250 grams of all-purpose flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 20 grams of unsalted butter
- Chives, to taste
- Bacon, to accompany
- Vegetable oil
- ground black pepper
1. Serve in a bowl the raw grated potato (shred it with a grater to get long, flat pieces), the mashed potatoesthe all-purpose flourthe beaten eggs and the baking powder.
2. Season with ground black pepper and shall to taste, mix everything to integrate.
3. Chop the chives finely (the amount depends on how much you like it), reserve some chopped fresh chives to add at the end, the rest add to the bowl with the popes (you can add only half to do with and without chives).
4. After integrating again and getting a kind of homogeneous masstake a portion, form a sphere and with your hands flatten slightly, if it sticks to your hands, just moisten them a little to prevent this from happening.
5. Place a large skillet over high heat, add a splash of vegetable oil and the unsalted butterWhen they are very hot, place some Potato pancakes.
6. After a few minutes, turn over, when they have browned, remove and leave on absorbent paper to remove excess fat. Repeat until the potatoes are finished.
7. Serve on a platter cash registersprinkle a bit of chives that you booked, accompany with baconand to enjoy!