Mexican cuisine falls in love with anyone, its traditions and pre-Hispanic preparations have managed to survive the passage of time, many have fallen by the wayside or are forgotten, a few others find a new opportunity by being reborn and consolidating, but there are others that time charges them with. invoice and they have forgotten little by little, it is getting more and more difficult to get them and find someone to prepare them, one of them is the chileatole, but what is the chileatole? We tell you.
What is chileatole?
Photo | Twitter
The history of chileatole is very interesting because it went through a very large transformation process, before it was considered a dish it was considered a drink, the Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mexican Gastronomy says that the word chileatole comes from the Nahuatl Chill, chile and Atolli , atole
Originally it was a drink that was prepared with ground cocoa, corn dough, chili, vanilla and was sweetened with honey or maguey, it is native to Veracruz, Puebla, Oaxaca, Morelos and Tlaxcala, the Spanish tried it and Hernan Cortez fell in love of its flavor and mentioned it in one of his Relationship Letters that he sent to the King of Spain, he describes it as a drink that gave a lot of energy thanks to its spicy notes as well as being a perfectly nutritious dish.
Gallery: The vegan version of the tastiest Mexican dishes (StarsInsider)
The preparation of chileatole varies a lot from the region and the family tradition, it is already very difficult to find it as the original drink, it is more like a dish that is accompanied with beef or pork, although its popularity and consumption has decreased with Over time, enormous efforts are made to keep it alive and there is even a chileatole fair.
It is a complete and nutritious dish that has accompanied Mexicans throughout history, previously it was very easy to find it on Sundays in the tianguis and in the markets, now not anymore, but so that you do not stay with the craving and relive memories from those beautiful times when you were younger we leave you this incredible recipe.
How to make chileatole?
Photo | Twitter
- 1 ½ liters of water
- 4 cups of corn kernels
- 250g of nixtamalized corn dough
- 5 branches of chopped epazote
- 4 green serrano peppers
- In a large pot bring water to a boil, when it is bubbling add the corn kernels and let them cook for about 20 or 30 minutes.
- In a bowl with a cup of water begin to undo the dough until you have a thick mixture, like that of an atole.
- When you get that consistency and with the help of a very fine strainer, add the atole to the pot with the corn and cook it for half an hour, do not forget to keep moving constantly to prevent it from sticking and burning.
- In a blender add a cup of water, the epazote leaves, the salt, the chili and grind perfectly until you obtain a fine and homogeneous mixture that does not need to be strained, add to the pot and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Serve very hot and enjoy.
Now that you know what chiliatole is and you know how to prepare it, go ahead and do it and add some pork or beef bones so that the flavor is richer, you could even be encouraged to sell it.