Undoubtedly, the onion is an essential ingredient in Mexican cuisine and almost everywhere in the world, it potentiates the flavors and aromas of many dishes, although many do not like it because of its strong aroma and flavor when raw, many others love to eat it in various cooking or raw, finely chopped into taquitos or enchiladas, to encourage you to always include it in your dishes we tell you about the benefits of eating onions.
Benefits of eating onions that you probably did not know
The onion has the quality of being eaten in different presentations, ground, raw, cooked, fried, breaded, etc. Although one might think that it is a vegetable of Mexican origin, it is not so, since the onion is of Asian origin, which reaches Europe and the Roman Empire is responsible for distributing it throughout the continent, later it arrives in Mexico together with the Spanish and is consolidates as one of the favorites and most used by society.
The properties and benefits of eating onions are many, almost all of them work if eaten raw because when they go through high temperatures and through a cooking process, many of those benefits are lost.
In Mexico, the largest onion producers are the states of: Baja California, Guanajuato and Tamaulipas, Chihuahua and Zacatecas.
PROFECO says that being a food rich in potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium and phosphorus, vitamin B, C and E, its benefits are extensive:
- It is recommended to stimulate nerve transmissions
- Improves liver and gallbladder function
- Benefits muscle function
- It works as an expectorant
- Bactericide and fungicide
- Improves digestion
- Lowers blood pressure
It is important to emphasize that the benefits of eating onion are greater if it is consumed raw.
types of onion
There are different types of onion, they vary in color, flavor and size, the characteristics of each one are different from the others:
- White: It is the most consumed in the world and the best known, unlike the others, this one is crunchier.
- Dwelling: Its size is a little larger than the white one, its main characteristic is the purple color of its layers, it is ideal for raw consumption or pickled as in the cochinita pibil, if it goes through a cooking process its flavor and texture are lost.
- Yellow: Regularly its size is larger than the previous two and it is not as consumed in Mexico. Compared to the other two, its flavor is sweeter and less strong, it works perfectly for caramelization and frying.
- chambray: They are one of the most dynamic onions, they can be used for various preparations, they consist of a bulb with long stems and they have a very delicate but delicious flavor, they are the favorites for taquitos and roasted carnitas.
- Shallot: The smallest and the most “delicate” of all, it is very aromatic, with a very sweet but subtle flavor, its color is pink and it is ideal for more elaborate dishes that require delicate and subtle flavors and aromas.
Now that you know the benefits of eating onion, you should not have any excuse not to include it in your meals, but remember to brush your teeth well after eating it (generally after each meal) so as not to alienate the people around you.